Crime Victim’s Rights
Being a victim of crime can be a very traumatic experience. In addition, going through the criminal justice system as a victim of crime can be confusing, scary, and at times, very frustrating.
District Attorney Baker and his teams are anxious to help. You can contact the Steuben County District Attorney’s Office:
Steuben County District Attorney
3 East Pulteney Square
Bath, NY 14810
They can be reached at (607) 664-2270.
AS A VICTIM OF A CRIME YOU HAVE THE RIGHT:
- to be treated with dignity, respect, and compassion
- to be informed about the Criminal Justice System
- to discuss your case with the District Attorney
- to request restitution
- to due process in the criminal proceedings
- to provide a victim-impact statement to the court prior to sentencing
- to be heard by the court at time of the defendant’s sentencing (ten days advance written notice is required)
- New York State Crime Victim Compensation: As a victim of crime, you may be eligible for compensation benefits to cover certain medical and counseling expenses, loss of earnings, essential personal property loss, or funeral expenses which resulted from a crime.
- Outreach: The program assists victims who have reported crimes to local law enforcement agencies.
- Court Assistance: The program can provide court preparation, accompaniment, and emotional support.
- Referrals: Referrals can be provided to counseling agencies, shelters, medical services, and others.
- Probation/Parole Information: The program can assist victims who are in need of information from Corrections, Parole, and Probation services.
- Community Awareness: Arrangements can be made for a presentation on the program to your group or association.
- Student Interns/Volunteers: Student internships and volunteer opportunities are available.